After The Party

The journal of the making of the quilt!

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Backing Fabric

I went shopping yesterday and found this fabric which I thought would be suitable for the backing fabric. I must confess on Friday I forgot to buy the fabric I was going to buy for the backing, so I tried to get some on Saturday where we were shopping and they didn't have any, so I bought this. I hope it is suitable. I also got some batting. It is organic Hobbs cotton batting and was quite a reasonable price, but it is not very bonded together and is easy to put your finger through it. It will need quite close quilting to hold it altogether, which is okay as I was intending to do that. I hope Janice has lots of good ideas about what type of thread to use and what kind of quilting to do!


This is a photo of the batting. I couldn't get it light enough (mainly 'cos I don't really know how to use the camera or photoshop properly - but hey, I did these photos, and this post, all by myself! woohoo!)

I have decided to vlisofix the words to the background using a thin strip around the edges so the quilt doesn't get too stiff, and because I don't know what thread to use just yet. I am fraying the edges of each word background before attaching the vlisofix and fusing it to the quilt top, so it is a pretty slow process. I have done 8 out of the 12 words so far and I'd better get on and do the rest because I am supposed to go out to Janice's today to bast the quilt layers together. So I had better scram!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home