After The Party

The journal of the making of the quilt!

Thursday, August 31, 2006

The background is painted

I've painted the background using the textile inks. To get a better coverage I used less water and left the piece to dry on the plastic before lifting it off this morning. When I did the first practise piece I lifted it off while it was still fairly wet and left a lot of the paint on the plastic underneath it. That meant the colour lost intensity but the cloth remained fairly soft. But because this larger piece would be difficult to manage wet and would tend to brush colour from one part to another if I lifted it I left in overnight. This has meant the coloured paint has all dried shiny, like a plastic coating, on the back of the cloth. The colour looks great but I'm not sure about the texture. We'll have to wait until its properly dry, ironed and maybe washed. I wonder if it could be tricky quilting through the plasticky paint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home