After The Party

The journal of the making of the quilt!

Monday, August 21, 2006

More Fabric Choices

This is the second lot of fabric choices. The bottom row is the backgrounds and the top row is the words. Still not sure I have got all the fabric choices right but I think the contrast is better. I think the 2 light lilac colours in the top row need to be a bit darker. I want both the words and the backgrounds to be dark in the centre, but still have enough contrast to be able to be read. As Janice said we don't want it to be too difficult to read so that people give up. The photo kind of washes things out but it needs to look good in the photo to be selected. I'm going to spend some time on getting the words completed this week so Janice can have another look at them.

I emailed the Human Rights Commission about the "noisy" part and got this reply:

Kia ora Helen,

It is excellent that you are working on a quilt! I believe that ‘noisy’ in the advertisement is symbolic only and refers to ‘making a statement’ – full brief attached. . .

So it seems that the "noisy part may not be so difficult after all. I was having visions of sewing clanging knives to the quilt or maybe including one of those cards that 'sing' when you open them but with our own recording of hitting and screaming maybe. (No idea how to go about that but I'm sure it would be possible.)

I have been thinking about the edge of the quilt as I have been working on it. We are thinking of an unfinished, rough edge. I'm visualising tearing and cutting part of it, making a car tyre tread on it and maybe burning the edges or scorching part of it with an iron or maybe cigarette burns. Or perhaps all of the above, and more, to symbolise the methods of physical abuse that are sometimes used. Or is that too "OTT"? (Not that the above has happened to me personally but I did have the car driven at me although I was able to get out of the way.)

My Friday night group saw what I was working on and asked about it. I found it quite hard to talk about it and just said that it was one of the challenges for Symposium. But one of the group knows and has experienced violence herself. As the quilt gets more complete I will tell them it is my story in the quilt. I'm not sure whether I am brave enough to show it ae club though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home