After The Party

The journal of the making of the quilt!

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Another look "in the eye"

I've taken another look at the photos in the blog and I think what is hitting me in the eye is that the first 'i' and the first 't' are parallel so I will change the angle a bit. I wonder if the word 'stop' has enough impact. Should I make the letters thicker so it has more impact? I want the emphasis to be on stopping the hitting as that is the solution to violence even though I know that, practically speaking, it is a much more complex thing than just saying 'stop'.

The sense of 'gaining power' that I was talking about in my last post was about feeling that if the thing that is being used to hurt me is broken then it can't be used to hurt me any more. So cutting the belt up means it has no power to hurt anymore. I can remember a childhood incident when my mother broke the wooden spoon hitting one of us (I can't really recall if it was me or one of my siblings - we all got the wooden spoon or belt or jug cord), but I can remember feeling relieved and thinking 'well that means she has to stop'. Family violence was such a common part of my upbringing that it is no surprise I ended up in a domestic violence situation. When the family solution to problems is to slam doors, throw things, hit people, it takes a while (a lifetime actually) to realise life doesn't have to be like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home